Friday, October 14, 2011

My So-Called Thoughts

Well, I can see that my so-called blogging during my final 18 months of grad school was not the best idea.  It probably would be helpful to keep this up and add more balance to my life.  Considering this, I was reminded of a favorite poem of mine this past week.  I won't bore you with the details of what triggered this memory (which by the way is featured in a great episode of "My So-Called Life"), but every time I read it, I seem to gain more from it.

At a time when I suppose I am grappling with the thought of getting older, and at a time when I see so many young people looking up to so-called celebrities who are admired in this world for more of their appearance than their talent, I am reminded of the diverse beauty each of us possesses in our own unique ways.  Sure, it often is under the radar, and less often, acknowledged (at least outwardly).  But as I ruminate on this great video posted by a beautiful friend, and amazing breast cancer survivor, I think it stands on its own.  Thanks William Shakespeare.

My Mistress's Eyes

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
     And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
     As any she belied with false compare.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, now if only I could get myself to write again. It's far more interesting than the dissertation. :)

    ReplyDelete