Thursday, June 21, 2012

I (Don't) Like to Move It, Move It

I am in the process of moving.  For the past month or so, I have been wading through stuff at my apartment deciding whether to "toss or take."  I wish I could say it has been as fun as Carrie Bradshaw and her gal pals had cleaning out her closet.  Whenever I move, I am amazed at the amount of "stuff" that has crept into my apartment's inventory (and I am not even a person who enjoys shopping).  I, literally, have taken at least six boxes/bags of this "stuff" to Goodwill.

I am by no means above consumerism, as much as I'd like to think I am.  Every time I move, I get a swift quick in the rear reminding me that, I too, have contributed to the consumption epidemic that plagues our society and contributes to massive environmental problems, like deforestation, polluted water, and energy use.  Yes, little old me, who would like to think I am an environmentally-minded, thoughtful justice seeker, is part of the problem.

It always makes me a little sick, knowing that this "stuff" that at one point I felt was important enough or cute enough to buy, for the most part, has no real meaning to me, and does not bring any sort of added joy to my life.  And in some cases, sadly enough, that "stuff" was never used.  There was that expensive dress that I just had to buy with the matching shoes, in hopes that I'd have some occasion to wear it, but only once has it been worn (when I let a friend borrow it).  There was that piece of exercise equipment that was going to help me get those six-pack abs, but after trying it a few times, my lack of coordination rendered it worthless to the illusion that I should want or need six-pack abs in the first place.  There are other things that come in packs of six that come much easier to me and I think I'd rather enjoy, thank you very much. But I digress.  The fact is, apparently I bought into something when I bought this stuff.  Next time I move, I hope that the only "stuff" I get rid of is stuff that's no longer usable (but hopefully recyclable) or not fixable (but perhaps can be transformed into something else by someone very clever).

Care2com's article about non-consumption on Mother Nature Network is a great guide to begin the venture into conscious living and conscious consuming.  Whether it is the concern for purchasing fair trade items or ensuring that the product you are purchasing was not made with toxic chemicals, conscious decision-making means not giving into impulses, getting past advertisements promoting stuff that is guaranteed to make people happy, and finding a balance between living comfortably, within our means, and with more attention paid to what makes human life so unique.  Easier said than done, right?  Nancy Cook wrote a piece called the "Corporate Pursuit of Happiness" that I recommend.  Then you be the judge.

As I think about the move ahead, I think about the ease of which I helped my sister move a few years ago.  Somehow, her stuff, had managed to fit into the smallest of storage spaces (I'll save some thoughts on these storage units for another blog).  In her multiple cross country moves, she had managed to rid herself of the excess baggage.  I only hope that the new "stuff" that I accumulate in this next apartment, is "stuff" that does not fit into boxes, but rather fills pages of photo albums, creeps into conversations and creates long-lasting memories.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for reading.  I have some more blogs ahead regarding the wonderful world of boxes, the tug-of-war I have with moving past my dorm room style decor (yes, even though I graduated in 2001) because of feeling the need to "upgrade," and places to recycle in your neck of the woods.  I also have so many fun sites and videos and ideas I have saved over the years that I hope will be of use to others seeking similar simplicity in their lives.



3 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the blog world, Kais! I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I am going to try really hard to keep it up!!! Thanks for reading all the way from Tanzania!!!! (By far the longest distance reader!!). ;) Hope you are feeling better!

      Delete
  2. Love the blog, Michelle. Hope you keep it up. My number one addiction in life is blog reading, so I will definitely follow it. Congrats and good luck with the move. -Juech.

    ReplyDelete